Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Improv Cooking: Grilled Herbed Tomatoes

There's two wonderful things about summer...  


...fresh ripe tomatoes...


...and fresh fragrant herbs.

(That's thyme, parsley, rosemary, basil, sage, and oregano.)

So combining those would make a perfect summer recipe, right?

RIGHT!


I took some thick slices of some tomatoes I'd just picked at a veggie stand down the road and put them on a grilling tray.


After they had cooked I sprinkled them with the finely chopped herbs.  The above combo is what sounded good to me this time, who knows what I'll use next!  

Here's an adjustment to what I did this first time.  The tomatoes didn't get the caramelizing I wanted on them.  Next time I will probably brown them up in a skillet, then transfer them to the grill to get the smokey flavor.


Right before they were done I topped them with mozzarella cheese.  Next time it will be Parmesan.

They were so good.  Himself said he wants to see more of this recipe!


Grilled Herbed Tomatoes
(A 'no measure' recipe!)

Fresh tomatoes, sliced thick (about a half inch)
Your favorite fresh herbs, fine chopped (enough to cover tops of the tomatoes)
Shredded Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese

A grilling tray or grill skillet.

Place tomato slices on hot grill tray or skillet.  (Here's where I am going to pre-caramelize them.)  Cook about 5 minutes (depending on how hot your grill gets), then carefully flip.  They are going to be getting soft which makes flipping tricky.

Sprinkle the top with your herb mix.

Just before they are done, sprinkle your choice of shredded cheese on top.  Close the grill to melt (but keep an eye on them!)

When you take them off the grill they will be very soft.  I would suggest using two spatulas... one to lift and the other to push the tomato against. 


Enjoy!  





4 comments:

  1. What a great snack- they are like little tomato melts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Can't wait to try it. A terrific way to highlight tomatoes and herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just look at all those herbs you used! Parmesan WOULD be an awesome flavor to add to your grilled tomatoes. (& now I'm drooling...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy. What a great summer side dish. Thanks for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.