Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Rosemary & Thyme Grilled Steak

"Lavender and Lovage" challenge for their 'herbs on Saturday' this month is "BBQ Herbs: rosemary and thyme".

I don't 'barbeque' much but I do grill a lot.  And that combination sounded so good to me.  So I whipped up both a marinade and a compound butter to dress up a nice chuck steak.  I cut the chuck steak into stripes and had them in the marinade for about 8 hours.  While that was sitting I put together my flavored butter.

The steaks were grilled to medium rare and rare, then at the table a bit of the butter was added on top.  So good!  I decided the butter would be great on corn too.



Rosemary Thyme Marinade

1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
5 - 4 inch sprigs of fresh rosemary
about 15 - 4 inch sprig of fresh thyme

Mix the oil and vinegar into a glass dish that will fit your meat.  Give both herbs a slight pounding on a cutting board to bruise.  This releases their flavors.  Put into the oil & vinegar mix and swish around a bit to blend the flavors.  Then add your meat, coating both sides.  

Let sit at least 4 hours, occasionally turning to get the marinade all over.


Rosemary Thyme Butter Compound

1 stick of butter, softened
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (only), finely chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, slightly bruised
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

Mix herbs into softened butter with the back of a spoon.  Let sit several hours for the flavors to combine.  It gets better as time goes by!






Cooking with Herbs Lavender and Lovage

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this way of cooking steak with herbs, and this is my kind of steak cut too, I love chuck steak!

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.