Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Feather Brained Bird

The other morning I was sitting at my computer when I saw a flash of red in the driveway.


Looking, I saw this strange looking bird.


I grabbed my camera so I could use the telephoto for a closer look.

WHAT was it?!


It was twisting around and fussing/crying out and picking at itself.  And what is the deal with its tail??


On another twist he got his tail straightened out.  Other than a few bent feathers it seemed fine.  And then I spotted the cause of his issues.  See that big black ant on the bottom right of the picture?  There was a whole swarm of them along the top of the railroad tie.  As he was eating them, others were biting the daylights out of him!

I was afraid that something was wrong with him and he couldn't get away from the ants so I sent Himself out to check on him.  He flew off as Himself approached.

The only thing wrong with that bird was a bad case of stupid!
  

I'd never seen such unique coloring.  Look at that 'maple leaf' on his belly!


It wasn't until I discovered this illustration did I figure out he was a young male Summer Tanager.

What an airhead bird!





1 comment:

  1. The expression 'bird brained' isn't far from the truth, is it?

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.