Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Abandoned

"The coldest depth of Hell is reserved for people who abandon kittens."   

~“Friday” by Robert Heinlein.


Meet Quid. 

She/he is starving.

As you know, we live in “The Sticks”.  Thus far, in the four years we’ve been here, we haven’t had a problem with people dumping their pets here (except for one cretin who dumped a ferret… I couldn’t find it to rescue it). 

On Tuesday we first saw this pitiful kitten-cat.  She wobbled around to our garage, where we saw him from our deck.  I exchanged some ‘meows’ with the kitty and headed inside to get her some can cat food from my stash.  Tho scared of me, once I put the plate down and retreated, he wolfed down what was on the plate. 

On Wednesday we didn’t see her.


Yesterday at lunchtime he was out on the front sidewalk.  This time when I greeted her, he didn’t run away.  In fact, she wobbled right over to me, a bit steadier than on Tuesday.  I gave him another third of the can (one of those large cans), which was eaten quickly.  At suppertime she showed up again and finished the can. 

Now… are you wondering avout the name Quid?  His/her full name is now 'Quid Pro Quo' – meaning (according to Wikipedia) “Quid pro quo ("this for that" in Latin) most often means a more-or-less equal exchange or substitution of goods or services. English speakers often use the term to mean "a favor for a favor" and the phrases with almost identical meaning include: "give and take", "tit for tat", "this for that", and "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours".  

Himself so named this kitten-cat after hearing me say while feeding her, “OK… I’ll feed you, you catch mice.  Deal?”    (But of course he’ll get fed either way!)


So… I guess we’ve got us a cat…

(No... we don't know yet if Quid is a girl or boy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.