Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Photo Challenge: Reflecting on Reflection

This week’s photo challenge at Razmataz ( http://razmatazblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-photo-challenge.html )was to “capture a photo that brings another dimension to the picture with the use of Reflection”. The very word “reflection” has many dimensions of its own.


Single Reflection
1. the production of an image by or as if by a mirror


Glass artist Dale Chihuly has a display at the Cheekwood Botanical Gardens in Nashville. One of the groupings he always seems to do is to fill a boat with beautiful pieces of glass. I took several shots of the boat and its reflection in the pond as I moved around the rough rock-walled bank. This is my favorite of the group.



Double Reflection -
1. the production of an image by or as if by a mirror 
2. a fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration.


I caught this moment when Little Bird realized that what she saw in the mirror was happening BEHIND her and not in front of her. When first she saw herself she reacted as tho it was another baby. But then she looked up from the baby and saw ME in the reflection. Her little brain gears started turning. She whipped her head around to look directly at me, then back to my reflection in the mirror. She did this several times then she waved at me in the mirror. As I waved back, she quickly looked directly at me. Yes… Aunt Teri really was waving! Then she looked back at the mirror and watched me continue to wave at her. That is when I took this photo.



Triple Reflection -
1. the production of an image by or as if by a mirror
2. a fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration.
3. the return of light, heat, sound, etc., after striking a surface.


On the hot August day, the white concrete bounced light and heat on my face as I sat waiting in construction traffic. I had been deep in thought on plans for Little Bird’s upcoming birthday party when I noticed the reflections of my sunglasses and the rearview mirror.

9 comments:

  1. Your three photos define reflection so well :-) Dale Chihuly's glass work is so unique and intriguing -- great way to make it doubly fascinating by catching the reflection in the water :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I like all three of your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, you are so clever. Love the triple reflection! I do love Dale Chihuly's work. i have not seen any of this exhibit and that boat is spectacular. Thank you so much for showing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, the first one is especially interesting. I am glad you explained what it was! Beautiful shot! hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boat photo is wonderful! I love his glass objects. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri - those photos are amazing and sum everything up in one! I love to bits the picture of little Hanna and her wonderful expression!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All three are very cool! Aren't you just the overachiever? (hehe)

    The first one is technically very cool.
    The second is so sweet.
    The third very interesting and you are very observant also....

    Golly what are you going to do with "close"?

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I particularily enjoyed the mirror and Hanna's new knowledge! Each picture has a great story behind them and the triple reflection was clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Teri that was so much fun to see and read! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.