Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Bolt From Above

 Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.  ~Mark Twain

Sometime Thursday night – when I’m not sure – I was rudely awakened by a loud CRACK – BOOM!! Terrific… another thunderstorm. I listened a bit to check out the intensity, then went back to sleep.

Friday was a lovely rainy day. Mostly those easy soaking rains that are perfect for watering the yard. It was spiced up every few hours when a more intense cell went over bringing thunder, lightning and heavy rain. Enough rumbles to unplug the computer and work off the battery for a while.

So I was at my desk talking to my Dad on the phone. Looking out the window I noticed one of the trees very close to the house has a long furrow running down its trunk. Hmmmm! When I was finished with my conversation I went out for a look.



Wow! That crack last night was the tree being hit by lightning!! The furrow runs from the very top to about 20 feet above the ground.




There are branches in the yard that have been blown off the top.


You know… I think we’ve had enough lively weather here to hold us for the rest of the year!

4 comments:

  1. AGREED~! We have a tree in our back yard that was hit by lightning several years ago - still has that long furrow all the down to the ground. But this year, it has leaves on some of its branches - probably about half of them! It looked completely dead for many years, but now seems to be coming back to life. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, glad you and your house are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So close to the house, it must have been a loud crack of thunder. I have heard an old wive tale that a tree that has been hit by lightning (and died) can't be used for fuel i.e. it won't burn.

    Your nephew must be gorgeous. I love a big cuddly baby and he sounds very cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our former house was hit two times by lightening. Who says lightening never strikes twice? (That's why today I never talk on a land line during a thunder storm, both times our house was hit, it traveled through our phone and we were told it would have killed us if we had been on it.) Scary stuff Teri. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.