Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

An Expression of Myself

"Sounds of Silence" by Kimberly Santiago



I enjoy creating. Doesn’t really matter if it’s a photograph, a scrapbook page, a meal, a necklace… And I enjoy the opportunity to learn how to do something new.

A few weeks ago Best Friend and I were leaving Hobby Lobby when I noticed by the door there were listings for classes. Hmmmmm. Basic jewelry and cake decorating didn’t interest me, I can do those. But there was one called “Mixed Media” with a display of a cool piece of art.

I wrote down the info… and lost it.

The next time in the store it was only a few days before the class and the display was still up. I was still interested so I wrote the info down again… this time in my calendar. And this time I emailed the instructor Kimberly Santiago. http://kimberlysantiagoart.blogspot.com/ She answered my questions and asked if I’d like to sign up.

My reply, “Yes, I would like to take it. Totally new adventure for me (i.e. – I haven’t a clue what we’re doing but it sounds grand!)".

I came on class day with a few things I had collected, mainly some scrapbook paper and some stamps. I had an idea of what I wanted to do.

Our pattern was the piece of art at the top of the page done by Kimberly. But she encouraged us to do our own take on it, to make it our own. (Which is good… because that is what I usually do anyway. I’m not good at being a copycat!)


Certain things were the same… the paint colors we used… the paper on our bird. But where our hearts took each of us was totally different.


Soon we were engrossed with what we were doing.


Halfway thru I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out but I was having a lot of fun.


In the end, they were each as individual as the person who created it. Margaret’s was about her granddaughter in Australia.


And mine was about travel.

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! You take the most interesting classes! Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Teri that is so cool! It's beautiful. Love love love all the maps, the compass rose, the sailing ships and the colors! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.